Here’s When to Expect Your IRS Tax Refund in 2022
Once you’ve filed your 2021 tax return, how long will it take to receive your IRS tax refund? Many US taxpayers often ask this question as the tax season comes to a close. Today, Tobin & Collins is here to outline when to expect your IRS tax refund to arrive.
How Long Will It Take to Arrive?
Taxpayers who file their tax returns through the mail, should receive their tax refund within six to eight weeks from the date the IRS receives it. However, if you’re looking to speed up the process, it’s best to file electronically. Typically, your tax refund will arrive within less than three weeks as a direct deposit to your bank account.
Tracking Your Tax Refund
To track your tax refund, you can check its status online with irs.gov/refund. All you’ll need is your social security number or ITIN, your filing status, and your exact refund amount. After entering this information into the online form, you’ll be able to see the status of the tax refund.
It’s vital to note that the tax refund’s status in the system follows these specific guidelines for processing:
- Digital: Wait 24-hours after e-filing to check your status
- Mail: Wait 4 weeks after you’ve mailed your tax return to check your status
- Updates: the system makes updates every day, particularly overnight
Common Tax Refund Delays
There are many different reasons why your tax refund may be delayed. The most common reasons include:
- Errors or incomplete information on the tax return
- Wrong Social Security Number
- Misspelled first and last name
- Filing status error
- Incorrect direct deposit information
- Amended tax return
- Filing a paper tax return or last minute submission
Get Your Taxes Done Right with Tobin & Collins
Tobin & Collins is here to help with all your tax needs. Contact us today if you have any questions about filing your taxes or about your tax refund.